Monday, April 29, 2013

Foster pup!

A friend of mine and fellow rescuer/foster home sent me a picture last week of a young, red Australian Cattle Dog mix and asked for my opinion of the provided description.  I commented and then jokingly asked, "When should we expect her?"   No, no, not to worry my friend said, we've got a plan in place for her.  

A couple of days later, my friend e-mailed to ask if I could help.  The pup had unexpectedly gone into heat, animal control where she was being held was full and wanted her out, the vet clinic where she will be spayed won't take her in heat and the boarding facility/daycare where she is going after her spay recovery won't take her because she is in heat.  

How could I say no?

settling in on the couch

Her name (by the rescue) is Twiggy which fits well with the outdoorsy names we have for the pack.  She is approximately eight months old and super affectionate.

So far, Twiggy is an extremely high energy pup, no doubt as a result of being confined for the past two weeks with (and I quote) "little to no outside time".  

The pack were welcoming and Twiggy has settled in very well and is much calmer than when she first arrived on Friday afternoon.  We're teaching manners, respect and Twiggy is also learning to not put her feet on the counter and to not jump up on people.

Outside play times are wild with lots of running, chasing and play bows.  

hanging out with the some of the pack

In the house, Twiggy is learning that a crate is a nice place to be because that is where you get treats and bowls of kibble.  

Also in the house there is also that little fluffy thing called a cat!

Twiggy meeting Elsie

Twiggy won't be staying with us very long, probably only a couple of weeks but we know that we'll be having lots of fun with her!

running with some of the pack

25 comments:

  1. She's adorable...are you sure she won't be staying? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha - no she won't be staying! Hard as it is to say that and this being the first ever Cattle Dog foster, no, she won't be staying. If I was to add another, I would add either a senior and/or special needs.

      Delete
  2. Aww welcome Twiggy. Enjoy your stay at Chez ACD Pack! Good luck in your adventures of getting adopted.

    I love Breeze's tail in the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun having a foster again, it's been a while.

      Breeze walked into the picture I was taking and it turned out okay!

      Delete
  3. She's gorgeous and I bet you do so much for her in the short time she's with you that she will quickly find her forever home. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. We'll certainly do our best.

      Delete
  4. OMG! What an adorable addition to the pack! Congratulations and thank you for being such an angel to cattle dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is our first Cattle Dog foster so I know it will be hard to see her go.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous4/29/2013

    Aww, she is so cute! Too bad she won't be staying! Are you sure you won't be a foster failure with her? I can't imagine adding a puppy to your established pack though. Hope she finds a nice home soon!!

    Elyse and Riley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no, she won't be staying!

      Adding a puppy isn't that difficult. We added a really young puppy last summer (blind Breeze) when she was around four months old. The pack is happy to have a new playmate!

      Delete
  6. She is adorable!!! Glad to hear she's getting along just fine with the pack and even Elsie! I bet she'll learn lots even if she is just with you for a short time - keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is rather cute and just a little bundle of energy too! Twiggy is a quick learner and eager to please as well as watching what the others are doing.

      Delete
  7. OMD, she's so cute! And she's so "my type!" I love her. I wish I could come get her. Hope she finds a great furever home soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shall I forward you some adoption screening paperwork?! She's a little sweetie!

      Delete
  8. Anonymous4/29/2013

    Aw! What a cutie. And what a great name. Good luck with her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed when I heard what the rescue had named her. What a perfect name to join our pack!

      Delete
  9. She looks like she's making herself at home! She's so lucky that you have the time to look after her while she finds her forever family (unless she already had....BOL!)

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twiggy has settled in very quickly but no, she is not staying. If I repeat that often enough, it'll be true. Right?

      Delete
  10. Oh my! Twiggy is adorable! I thinnk the 6 pack thinks so, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha! Maybe Stumpy needs a little sister?

      Delete
  11. Won't be staying long? Hm. We'll see... ;-)

    Susan and Wrigs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO! She is not staying. She is not. Nope, not at all. LOL!!

      Delete
    2. Famous last words. ;-)

      Delete
  12. Twiggy is adorable! Isn't it funny how people will think you can have "just one more" when you already have 7 and they only have one or two?
    (We might end up with a 5th cat....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, in fairness to my friend, there was some hesitation about asking. Probably not a lot though! But, true...what's one more. Another kitty? That's okay in my opinion. We love them too.

      Delete