Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Acupuncture treatment

Hiker went for her first acupuncture treatment for her neck/spine issues.  When we arrived, it was typical. Hiker had to "see" everyone and say hello to these new people and then we were shown to a room.

There was a few minutes of waiting so Hiker made herself comfortable.


We really weren't waiting that long, this is just how laid back and relaxed Hiker is wherever she is.

The veterinarian who will be doing the acupuncture is very nice and we talked about a plan to get Hiker off her medications as soon as possible.  Within two days of the first treatment, Hiker was off the Metacam and then the Robaxin was reduced.  


If you look really close, you can see the "needles" and the attached clips are for electrical stimulation.  The vet asked if I thought Hiker would be able to lay or sit mostly still for 15 minutes during the treatment so the needles weren't dislodged.  I assured her that wouldn't be a problem. The only problem was preventing Hiker from rolling on her back for a tummy rub.

The plan is for treatment every week for three to four weeks and if all goes well, she will only need a visit once or twice a year after that.  So, we're cautiously optimistic.

9 comments:

  1. Even before I saw your comment I thought, Hiker can make herself comfortable anywhere! I'm glad the first acupuncture session went well, and do let us know how she's going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha - if our vet had a nice place like that to chill - I think B might be more relaxed too! I bet the people with the excitable dogs are extremely jealous of how laid back Hiker is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds promising. Man, can that dog relax! I wish my dogs were like that at the vet! bol 24 Paws crossed that this works for Hiker.



    ReplyDelete
  4. She is very relaxed. We sit UNDER a chair and shake when we visit the Vets. Of course, our Vet doesn't have a couch. We'll keep our paws crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think either of mine would stay that still. Hope this treatment helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great that she's so relaxed everywhere. Happy to hear the treatment went well. Hope the good progres continues!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been visiting acupuncture Mississauga for some time. The staff is always very careful, very caring, and super professional. I went in for bursitis flare ups, and I haven't had one since starting. These people are very understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading your article about Hiker. I think its amazing that dogs can have acupuncture, I hope she is feeling better now. I have also had a lot of neck and shoulder pain caused by repetitive strain and acupuncture has helped me a lot. Good luck to you and Hiker.

    Shanell Custer @ Sage Health and Wellness

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Australian cattle dogs, and I have a Queensland Heeler too. I can absolutely guarantee that he would not behave so well in the waiting room. He gets nervous and doesn't like people messing with him. I didn't know that dogs could get acupuncture; maybe that would help my dog to calm down.


    Yevette Behnke @ U.S. HealthWorks Modesto II

    ReplyDelete