Friday, July 31, 2015

Feeling better

Hiker's neck/spine issues have been going on now for almost two months.  She had a referral visit to the Atlantic Veterinary College Teaching Hospital last week and without further testing, there really isn't much that they could diagnose. Most likely, there is a compressed disc in her neck although they cannot rule out the possibility of a lesion on her spine.

The suggestion was a CT scan and/or MRI then likely surgery.  The cost for the testing and surgery would be around $4000.  The idea of that type of surgery is scary to me and I would rather not put her through that. (besides to be honest, I don't know where the money would come from)

Right now, Hiker is doing very well on her medications.  She is back to playing, bothering Arthur the cat and the most obvious sign that she is feeling better, she is hoarding gathering things in her crate.

Hiker and her gorilla

As an alternative to the surgery, next week we are going to see a veterinarian who does acupuncture.

4 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear Hiker is still hurting. Hope you and her find some relief with the acupucture.

    I don't blame you about the surgery or money, I couldn't fathom doing it to Brut either.

    We will be thinking about you and Hiker. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Hiker's condition stays stable, can she still run and play and do all the things she likes? If she can, I agree, it may not be worth doing at all.

    I think if it were me I'd be after a second opinion to make sure there's no risk of it suddenly worsening or some serious damage in some way if nothing is done, but if she's doing okay the way she is, then hopefully acupuncture is all she needs.

    Love the gorilla picture - I notice a snowman peeking out as well - another 'friend' of Hiker's? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't want to put her through that surgery either. It sounds scary. Hopefully some acupuncture would help. The hubs and I go for acupuncture and it sure helps us. If nothing else, it's very relaxing after! Glad to hear she's feeling better and herding her toys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good news :) I think acupuncture sounds like a good idea!

    ReplyDelete