Thursday, December 06, 2012

Breeze's food issue - update

I wanted to post an extra little post today and say thank you to all who have commented with suggestions and support for the recent problem blind pup Breeze has been having with growling at her food.  As you may recall, I am no longer feeding her in her crate with the door closed and have moved her to an alcove off the kitchen next to the bathroom and I put up a extra long baby gate to keep her in and not wandering while she should be eating.  I also mentioned previously that it seemed to calm her if I talked.  Well, here's the update!

Not sure what has changed other than the location, but it's working very well.  Yippee!  Breeze casually wanders over when called, I have her sit and then she gets her bowl of kibbles.  I put the gate up and she settles in.  There has only been the very occasional grumble that lasts maybe a second or two which is much less than previously.  As for me constantly talking, well, I think that she has realized that me babbling about handing out dishes of kibbles and commenting on the weather isn't riveting dinner conversation.

The growling at other times has almost disappeared also.  (I hope I am not jinxing it by saying anything)  Breeze has woken me up a few times a night in the past with her growling.  That has also stopped over the past few days. 

Here is a picture I took this afternoon.  I am working nights this week and therefore sleeping during the day.  Trying to anyway.  Mid afternoon, I woke up to somebody pulling on the covers.  Did I ever tell you how cute Breeze is and how much I love her?  (Never did like that cheap yellow comforter.)


See the lighter spots on the floor in about the middle of the picture?  Breeze was gnawing on the floor one day.  Sigh.  Yes, that's her crate there.  No, she doesn't sleep in it much any more.  She would have a growling fit all night/afternoon while I was trying to sleep.
 
So, I am cautiously optimistic about the change and thankful for your suggestions and support.

12 comments:

  1. Paws crossed that the food growling has stopped. We always have fluff around the house and chewed bits on wooden furniture. You can vacuum those right up AND a stitch or two in the doona and it'll be fine.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I re-stuffed the comforter and will stitch it up. Poor Breeze was bored, too much sleep time and not enough play time. (12 hour shifts aren't fun) Forest was eating the fluff. BTW...I had to Google doona...I learned something tonight at work!

      Delete
  2. Woof! Woof! Oh my ... my mom said I was very good caused I am not a chewer...unless its food. Definitely asking for attention. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ARE good Sugar! Breeze does really well, she's only 8 months old and full of energy of course. We've now got 3 days off to play, play and hike!

      Delete
  3. I don't really chew stuff, lucky for my family!
    Cotton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cotton, you're so cute, you could maybe get away with it if you did! Breeze is a very good puppy, she just got really bored and restless while I was attempting to sleep. Oh well.

      Delete
  4. Have I mentioned that Breeze is my favorite? She reminds me of Noelle, my deaf Bull Terrier mix. I am so glad to hear everything is going better with her growling issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny becasue Breeze is the favorite of a lot of people! (Hiker is still my favorite...shhhh!)

      Delete
  5. Thankfully - even with Linus's crate time while I am at work he doesn't chew on his blanket. Which is really surprising. He's actually pretty good about mostly chewing on toys unless he's in a "mood" and feeling rather impish.

    Glad you seem to have gotten Breeze to a good place with less growling! I think that is so funny Breeze woke you up by tugging and ripping into that comforter (doona?)! I wonder if the growling returns a trip to the vet is in order? Sometimes it can be a health issue - maybe a tooth that hurts? Who knows with dogs. Too bad they can't tell us what it is their feeling!

    Woot woot - three days off! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likely Breeze's problem is the 12 hours shifts and as a result, bedtime = boring! She loves to rip into stuffing and her buddy Forest likes to eat it. Maybe he's trying to destroy the evidence!

      Delete
  6. I'm happy to hear things are going better for Breeze (and you)! I gave up on having a nice, neat house decades ago. Basically, we live in a big dog house. :-) Wrigs was already an adult when we adopted him, so we never went through the "chewing on everything in sight" stage with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is a nice neat house?! I think I've seen pictures. Better Homes and Gardens won't being doing a photo spread on our place, unless it's a "before"!

      I haven't had much of a problem with any of the dogs chewing, some were very young fosters up to age 10 years. Oh well, it's only an old comforter. I know people who have had chairs destroyed, walls chewed, coffee tables ruined and one with a mattress that was completely destroyed!

      Delete