Friday, December 14, 2012

Hiker - Happy 3rd Gotcha Day!

A little over three years ago, I sent a happy-it's-going-well type of update to the rescue that I adopted Bill from.  Within that update, I commented that having two dogs again was great, someday I'd like to add a third.  I was surprised to receive an e-mail asking me if I would consider a blind Australian Cattle Dog mix puppy that was approximately eight months old.  She had been pulled from a high kill shelter in Kentucky and was being transported to the rescue.

My first reaction to the e-mail was something like, "Blind?  A blind puppy?  But we camp, we hike and backpack."  

The rescue had great confidence in me and told me that I could do it. That Bill and Callie would help teach her also.  Once the puppy arrived at the rescue, they sent some pictures and a further description detailing her undeveloped eyes and the scars across the back of her neck and the scar from her left eye up through her ear, part of which is missing, causing it to droop.  


After lots of thought and e-mails with the rescue, we made arrangements to go and meet her and see what a blind puppy was all about. She had only been at the rescue a few days and was unsure of where she was and was happening...but, well, there was something about her.  I signed the adoption papers and that day she came home!



I named her Hiker because that is what she would be.  No, it's not a girly name but a constant reminder of her capabilities.  As I have mentioned in previous posts, I don't coddle or treat special.  My attitude is let's get out there and get going and we haven't stopped yet!



taken:  December 13, 2012

We have both learned so much over the past three years.  I've taught Hiker many things and allowed her to be a regular dog.  She loves to travel, hike, camp and backpack. In return, she has taught me to relax and slow down. (you can't rush a blind dog!)

It's been a fantastic three years and we are looking forward to many, many more!

6 comments:

  1. Hiker is so beautiful! Inside and out. :-) I am so glad you found her and worked so hard to bring her home, even if you weren't sure you could take on the challenge. She is proof that we are all capable of anything, no matter what circumstances we came from.

    Congratulations and happy Gotcha Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Gotcha Day Hiker!!! You are Beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Beautiful Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12/14/2012

    Love. Such a sweet girl, and a sweet story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Gotcha Day, Hiker. We're so glad you found your family. Just remember she's not an 8-cylinder engine, firing on 7 pistons; but a 7-cylinder girl firing on ALL pistons.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Gotcha Day, Hiker! She certainly ended up in the perfect home!

    Susan and Wrigs

    ReplyDelete