Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Tasty Tuesday!

Since we now have some nifty cookie cutters for dog biscuits, I have tried a couple of recipes and of course the pack was more than willing to taste test.  Some were obviously yummier than others.  It seems though, that all of them smelled good while baking since there were a few kitchen helpers, as usual.

Forest, Brook and Hiker patiently waiting to taste test.
I used our little cookie cutters as well as a bigger bone shaped one that I bought so that we could share some cookies with our neighbor dogs who are bigger than the Australian Cattle Dogs.  Dave is a Great Dane/Mastiff mix and our other neighbor is Max, a Poodle/Retriever mix and he has a little teeny tiny doggie cousin named Pete who is a Teacup Poodle, so we gave them both sizes.


"Beep, beep", these are going in the oven!
So, our latest and favorite recipe is one I found here:  

http://sweetpeaskitchen.com/2011/06/crunchy-peanut-butter-dog-treats/

I made a couple of slight modifications to the recipe. I omitted the egg and replaced it with ground flax seed and water, a vegan egg substitution. Also, I didn't use the chunky peanut butter, only smooth and chose to use an organic natural peanut butter.  I also baked on parchment paper.

Just to make it easier, here's the original recipe:

Crunchy Peanut Butter Dog Treats


Ingredients:


  • 1 cup dry oats
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 egg, beaten

Directions:


  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
  2. In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, peanut butters, water, canola oil and egg.
  3. Lightly flour a flat, clean surface and roll the mixture out to about ¾ inch thickness. Cut mixture using a canine-themed cookie cutter and place on a prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes on one side and then flip the treats over and bake an additional 20 minutes. Remove to cooling racks and let cool thoroughly, about 2 hours. They will harden as they cool.

Source: adapted from Dog Paw Print
Brook:  "I think I heard you say there are more cookies."

24 comments:

  1. You're cookies came out great...I never have much luck with the fancy cutters so I generally just make circles...Gizmo doesn't seem to mind...and you're swirl is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's silly really isn't it to make fancy shapes - the dogs certainly don't care! Thanks for your comment on my swirl. I was pleased and am thinking that I could make more and gift it too.

      Delete
  2. YUMMY! I am off to the kitchen right now! Thanks for sharing, my friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just stay off the table in the kitchen! (ha ha ha...I loved your post today!)

      Delete
  3. Anonymous12/11/2012

    Hey ACD6pack, Jet here.

    How thoughtful of you to make such lovely presents. Did I mention YUMMY prezzies?

    Oh, Mom said the flax seed/water egg replacement idea might work with the latkes, too.

    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jet! Thanks for the flax/water input from The Mom.

      It's too bad you're not our neighbor, we'd give you some cookies too!

      Delete
  4. Good call on omitting the egg - I don't use them in my dog treats either. Also, the smooth peanut butter is just easier when you are rolling out cookies! ;) Those look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got to be honest, I left out the egg due to eating vegan. I never gave much thought to the crunchy peanut butter, you made a good point. See, the bulk store only had smooth!

      Delete
    2. I know from experience - I once looked at the smooth peanut butter and reached for it but somehow when I got home I discovered I had bought the crunchy. I thought "How different could it be?" Lol - plenty different.

      Delete
  5. Woof! Woof! What do you mean just 2 cookies ... of course they want more. Great to substitution with flax seed. Us to don't cook with eggs. Golden Thanks for sharing. Happy Tasty Tuesday. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sugar, they can have more than two but...too many cookies aren't good for pooches! That's why I made them small so they can have two or maybe three.

      Delete
  6. I didnt know about using flaxseed and water instead of an egg! I eat eggs cos they help my coat but this s great substitute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kirby! As a vegan replacement, we use 1 tbsp ground flax and 3 tbsp of warm water and let it sit for a few minutes before adding to a recipe that requires one egg (double as required). Works well in all the baking we do for humans and canines! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Those look great! I think Wrigs is secretly packing his bags. The cinnamon bread looks so wonderful!

    Susan and Wrigs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are yummy and approved by nine dogs.

      We'll be expecting Wrigs and will send him home with some bread for you!

      Delete
    2. Somehow I doubt that the bread would survive the journey! ;-)

      Delete
  8. We popped over from Wrigs :) Food glorious food :) Those swirls look yummy, I would have to drizzel icing on them, as I love that stuff :) Have a scrummy yummy Tuesday xx00xx

    Mollie and Alfie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mollie, thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Ahhhhh peanut butter! It just makes stuff a little bit better.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In our opinions, peanut butter makes anything and everything taste better!

      Delete
  10. These sound yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipes. I realize now I have no dog bone shaped cutters at home and that really is not a situation that can go on. What kind of dog lover am I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel bad, I just got the cookie cutters last week. Who knew they would be so cheap at the Bulk Barn? Fortunately the dogs didn't know the cookie cutter shapes even existed until I brought them home.

      Delete
  11. That looks yummy!!
    Cotton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those cookies were approved by nine dogs! That's a lot of taste testers.

      Delete