Friday, November 30, 2012

Hiking with Callie

This past Wednesday, although cold, was nice and sunny and after a few days of cloud, sunshine was just what we needed.  So, since I didn't have to go to work, on with the long underwear, the warm hat, the mitts and a couple of layers and out we went.  Just Callie and I. 

We went to a park that is very popular in the summer for camping since it is on a lake and in an area densely populated with cottages.  It's not an area that we camp at since it's very family oriented and it's only about a 35 minute drive from home.  (As someone once said, sometimes you need the drive to feel like you're getting away.)

At this time of year, the park is closed and most of the cottagers are long gone.  In my opinion, that makes it a perfect place to hike, especially on a very sunny day with morning temperatures around -3C/26F.


Callie's recall is very good but since the trails are very twisty with a limited view, I decided to keep her on leash since there were some mountain bicycle tracks that were fresh. 
 
The park is quite large and there are many trails so I chose one of the first ones we came across.  The sign indicated that the trail was one kilometer but no indication if it was a loop or linear.  Best way to find out, let's go!


Well, the trail wasn't a loop, it ended at links to two other trails so we turned around and wandered some of the roads within the park.  I'm going to have to check on line and see if there are maps of the trails.  It's not like we'd get lost, we would have to try really, really hard and even then, I doubt you could get lost in there, it's too close to lots of roads and year round houses.

Callie and me!

We saw nobody on the trails, the sun was bright, the birds were chirping...a wonderful way to spend the morning.



6 comments:

  1. That is a brilliant way to spend a morning...or afternoon...or evening. And you had it all to yourself. Magic.

    XXXOOO Daisy, bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wonder if we're antisocial but it's so much nice alone on the trails!

      Delete
  2. Very nice! I miss taking B out hiking. Linus will need a third set of shots before I can take him with us. Hopefully I will find time over the Christmas break I get to take her out. I miss having one dog - I don't know how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Linus could stay home (horrors!) and just you and Blueberry head out?

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a perfect hike! We love it when we don't run into anyone!

    Susan and Wrigs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peace and solitude makes us very happy!

      Delete