Friday, November 09, 2012

"I want THAT one!"

Today was overcast, chilly and damp.  Yuck.  But do the dogs care?  Nope.  Let's get out there and see what's going on.  So we went.  Not far though, just the yard. 

While the wild ones were wrestling and chasing each other, I decided that I could probably rake some more leaves.  As I was doing that I discovered a small piece of antler that one of the pack had brought outside.  Bringing antlers and Kongs outside is not allowed.  Where we live, the antlers are $12 - $15 each for the size we need.  Too expensive to be taking outside since it's always times seven.  We can't have just one or two, everybody has to have one!

The piece I found was small, really small, less than two inches. 


I didn't think much of it, just tossed it inside on the kitchen floor.  Well, apparently it aged very well under the leaves in the rain and became the must have antler.  We have others.  Big ones, ready for chewing on but no, this little piece was the one, the must have one.

All the dogs had a chance at it.  Yes, there were a few growls and snaps and likely some hurt feelings before I said, "enough" and threw it out.  Besides, it was getting so much attention that I was worried someone might swallow it and choke.

I did feel a bit sorry for the three blind girls, Hiker, Brook and Breeze because they were still trying to find it.  Sniffing around on the floor, no doubt thinking, "but it was just right here".   

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous11/09/2012

    Aw! I get nervous when bones get that small too. Hope you get better weather soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why is that when the pieces are so darn small they are tastier?! I have yet to figure that out.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it funny how the most unexpected things become the most valuable among dogs? I love your pack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even tried showing them the other antlers. Of course the look I was close to them thinking I was crazy!

      Delete
  3. I, Daisy, get things that size stuck on the roof of my mouth...so maybe it's a good idea to throw it out. However, we think maybe a week or so outside in the leaves might be a good idea for the other antlers....just sayin'.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Daisy, you are obviously on the side of the pack, aren't you?! Silly pooch, those are too expensive to leave outside. They can take hooves out and leave them, they're cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to give each of my three a rawhide first thing in the morning so I could have some peace, but then my alpha started being aggressive with the others over them so I had to stop - apparently the other dog's is always MUCH tastier and appealing than your own...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always! We have the same problem with a couple of the pack so it's crate time with the chew treat for some. Once they are well chewed, it's calmer.

      Delete