Friday, September 13, 2013

We built a bed!

We didn't have a bed. We were all sleeping on the floor, no air mattress or anything like that, just a couple of sleeping bags on the floor.  So, rather than continue to do that, I decided that I should build a bed.

It's nothing fancy, just some utility grade 2X4s, some nails and a whole lot of determination. (I always say that what I lack in skill I make up for in determination!)  I think it turned out quite well. I am basing that on the fact that it hasn't collapsed yet!

The dogs like it. They like it a lot.

Brook, Azule, Bill, Breeze and Forest

I thought about building an elevated bed with lots of storage room underneath but with three blind dogs I knew I would have to also build a barrier around it to prevent them from falling off (adult sized crib?!) and of course a set of stairs for them to be able to get on the bed. Seemed like too much to tackle so I kept it simple.

That open space underneath is more popular than I ever imagined it would be.

Hiker

It's a fun place to hang out.

Also a great place to play.


17 comments:

  1. :-D Wow, you're pretty darn handy, huh?! Nice woodwork and I'm sure that it'll be far comfier than laying on the floor! ;-) Hehe, oh yes, the pups seem pleased as punch! *Winning!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, they love it and now nobody "fights" over laying on the chair.

      Delete
  2. I, Daisy, prefer sleeping under the bed. Glad the pups gave it the Paw of approval.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daisy -do you at least have carpeting to lay on?

      Delete
  3. We agree.....that sure is four paws of approval each. Have a fabulous Friday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly me, I thought I built it for myself!

      Delete
  4. Wow, you're quite resourceful and I have so much respect for you for doing what you do for the dogs. The pack sure seems to be enjoying the fruits of your labour. Check your email!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Often times, it really is all about them. I am so lucky to have them.

      Delete
  5. You did such an incredible job! Is it as good for humans as it is for dogs? They sure seem to love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Compared to a concrete floor, it's very comfortable and good for my back too!

      Delete
  6. I love this more than you can imagine! This is so fun and wonderful! Is there a mattress in your future?

    Susan (and Wrigs by proxy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A mattress? Oh, probably not. There is a mattress from a free standing hammock that I'm using. Good enough!

      Delete
  7. Adorable pics! What a great idea. I bet they feel nice and safe and cozy when they go in the underneath part. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't take any credit for the play space underneath - if I had known, I would have made it the bed a few inches higher. I kept it low to make it easier for Brook!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I'd be pleased as punch if I made a bed! Looks like the pack enjoy it too!
    Melon

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's perfect! Room for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9/16/2013

    Looking great! I have to confess, I might have done a little dance the day that Silas was finally too tall to go under our bed. I'll bet your pack don't run under there to tear things up that they aren't supposed to have, though.

    ReplyDelete