Sunday, May 05, 2013

A frustrating 24 hours....

Let's be honest, sometimes having a pack of dogs and a foster pup isn't all sunshine and happy faces.  Sometimes it is very frustrating. 

Yesterday morning started early since it was a work day.  By 4:30 am the big water dish in the kitchen had been spilled because four dogs all tried to get past it at the same time.  Then one of them threw up on the kitchen floor (a result of eating poop...again) and the foster pup peed on the floor because she obviously didn't pee when she went out ten minutes earlier.

The 12 hour shift at work was okay. 

When I arrived home after work and walked into the house, I could smell something...well, something not right.

Twiggy our foster pup had a bad day.

Her crate was very smelly from a loose bowel movement and as a result, she had shredded the carpet that was on the bottom of her crate and ripped her bedding.  In addition, Twiggy had pulled through the pink camouflage sleeping bag that was next door on top of Azule's crate and shredded it.



 
I had to throw out the bedding and the camouflage sleeping bag which was disappointing because I really liked that sleeping bag.  Then there was the smelly mess in Twiggy's crate to clean up and the lingering smell in the living room to contend with.

After dinner kibbles were served and gobbled up, the water dish was spilled again because of too many dogs rushing past it at the same time. (In a big hurry to go nowhere) Then, as I was mopping up the spill, of course, they all had to walk through the water and track it into the living room.  Then it was bedtime.

I woke up around 2:00 am and could see that Breeze was wandering around the bedroom and obviously was up to something she shouldn't be.  Breeze had found the one leftover box of laminate flooring that had been put in the corner.  


She apparently spent quite a bit of time with it, shredding the cardboard and chewing a few little pieces off the edge of a plank.  When I sighed and said, "Breeze, what are you doing?" she just wagged her tail, all happy and excited as usual.  

By the time I got her downstairs to go in her crate, she decided that she had to go outside first.  Then I tucked her into her crate.  So, back to bed around 2:30 am with the alarm set to go off at 4:00 am for another exciting day.

Not a typical 24 hour period in our lives, just seems that we had one of those days.

I am sure that some of you may find it amusing and some of you may have some sympathy for us.  It might just brighten someone's day and really, things like this are always more amusing when they happen to someone else aren't they?

I'm not seeing the humor in all this yet.  I'm still dealing with the fact that Twiggy ignored Breeze's warning growl a couple of days ago about being in her crate and as a result they had a little tussle which spilled my morning coffee on the remote for the satellite television and destroyed it. Fifty dollars to replace the remote.  Probably should just get rid of the satellite service.

Maybe in a few weeks, I can look back on it and chuckle.  Right now, I feel more like having a little cry. Or a spoonful of peanut butter.  Ya, probably some peanut butter.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous5/05/2013

    Oh no! What a day! :( Glad it's behind you... Chloe once popped and shredded an air mattress, I was so mad! It wasn't funny at the time, but I took a picture of it and laugh about it now. Hopefully as time passes, this will be one of those laughable moments! Just remember, Twiggy should be going to her forever home soon!!! :)

    Elyse and Riley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...it's so hard being a puppy! I hope she feels better soon:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5/05/2013

    Oh no, I feel for you. That was a tough twenty four hours. Especially when a 12 hour shift at work gets no mention, then I know it's bad with the pack. Charley is still pooping in his crate, so I can imagine what you walked into. And the laminate flooring, oh my! Hope you got some sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peanut butter is the best bet. Some days are like that. After replacing shoes & books--always the expensive ones--with pups, SHE can sympathize. But it does just pass into family lore to be laughed at later.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can sympathize and yes sometimes I find it funny after the fact, but apparently Twiggy's got something going on. Whether it's separation anxiety or something else, it still is sad. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5/06/2013

    :hugs: to you. I hope you'll get a string of easy days now--we usually do after a bad flare up, but a pack may make it different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't worry, one day you WILL laugh about it. For now, just hang in there and be glad that every day isn't like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only have three, but sometimes I just despair. My main complaint is that my house always seems dusty and the floors are dirty all the time because of all the digging and dirty paws. I had a day just like that the other day, complete with muddy paws and spilled water bowl, culminating with Josey making me spill my coffee all over my cream colored sofa (slipcovered, thank goodness). And my little one got into my dining room, that I keep closed off all the time, and peed on the seagrass rug, which means it's ruined for good. But I always remember what Scarlett said - tomorrow is another day :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear! So sorry you had such a bad day, and also feel badly for poor Twiggy. It must have been quite stressful for her. I guess you lucked out just a tiny bit that Breeze only chewed on one plank. Even though we only have Wrigs, we have some bad days too. I think the odds increase when you have an entire pack. :-)

    Susan and Wrigs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh. You know, sometimes a good cry, or a spoonful of peanut butter, can do wonders to lift one's spirits. Seems counterintuitive but there it is.

    Sorry you had one of those days but I admire your patience with the dogs. There are plenty of days when it would be so much easier to yell at Bella or Jan or a co-worker but, other than giving me a release valve, I've never found blowing up to be very productive.

    Hang in there. Hope you're laughing about it by now. ;)

    ReplyDelete